Digital - Online / App / Mobile
Match Move Artists are responsible for imitating and translating camera movements in live action shots as 3D computer animations.
Match Move Artists position tracking points on live shots in order to calculate the co-ordinates in relevant 3D modelling software. This then allows the CG elements of a scene to be added convincingly into the live scenes when being composited.
Working hours are normally 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, though you may need to start earlier or work past 5pm or on weekends in order to meet deadlines.
Match move artists normally have a degree in a 3D discipline, such as computer graphics or computer animation, though you don't absolutely have to be a graduate. In some cases, you might be able to become a match move artist after gaining relevant production experience from other job roles, such as a runner. This would require a portfolio to demonstrate that you have the necessary talent and skills, and the capacity to use at least one of the relevant industry-standard software packages. This represents a good entry level role.
- The average salary falls between £19,000 to £25,000 annually
- Figures are intended as a guideline only
Benefits and prospects
Match Move Artists have promotion opportunities and may advance to roles such as Senior Match Move Artist.
- Combining live action computer graphics
- Use of Maya, Shake or a 3D tracking programme, such as 3D Equalizer, BouJou Maya Live
Skills and qualities
- Skilled in the relevant software
- Interested in computer animation or graphics
- Appreciation for accuracy
- Methodical mind-set
- Attention to detail
- Understanding of physics and maths
- Strong communication skills
- Strong team-work
- Ability to take direction
- Willingness to address constructive feedback
- Ability to deliver on schedule
- Ability to work under pressure
- Understanding of the production pipeline
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation