Advertising / Marketing / Branding
Marketing Managers are responsible for planning the best ways of promoting a client’s products, services or brand.
Marketing Managers decide upon the direction of all marketing activity within a campaign. They are responsible for finding creative new ways to deliver a message to the customer. They may be in charge of numerous campaigns, and will need to manage and motivate their marketing team to ensure the success of each one.
Working hours are normally 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Hours may be more irregular around campaign launch times. Attendance at trade fairs, exhibitions and events may also be necessary, including evening or weekend networking events. Whilst you will normally be office based, you may need to travel to attend industry events or product launches.
You will usually be required to have at least three to five years of prior marketing experience prior to entering management. At management level, employers traditionally value skills, industry knowledge and experience over qualifications. Some employers will expect a marketing or business related degree, or some form of professional marketing qualification. Others may also hire people with a strong PR or sales background.
- Salaries start between £25,000 and £40,000 annually
- With senior level experience, salaries can be upwards of £50,000
- Figures are intended as a guideline only
Benefits and prospects
Marketing Managers have promotion opportunities and may advance to roles such as Brand Manager or Account Director.
- Analyse and research market trends
- Identify target markets and plan how to reach them
- Develop marketing strategies
- Plan advertising campaigns
- Manage budgets
- Organise the production of advertising media
- Design social media strategies
- Attend meetings, conferences and trade shows
- Ensure that campaigns stay within budget
- Analyse and report on the effectiveness of the campaign
- Manage a team of marketing assistants and executives
Skills and qualities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A creative approach to problem solving
- Good planning and organisational skills
- A strong leader that can motivate and inspire a team
- Work well under pressure
- Great attention to detail
- Strong business sense
- Good with managing and maintaining budgets