Digital - Online / App / Mobile
Junior Designers are responsible for designing a range of materials, including packaging designs and marketing materials.
Designers will dedicated a lot of time to researching and prototyping the visual structure of a product or service, before gathering and implementing the information and copy needed for the visuals. The end result will be a visually appealing and usable product.
Working hours are normally 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, though you may need to start earlier or work past 5pm or on weekends in order to meet deadlines.
Most Junior Designers possess a design degree or equivalent, and will need to demonstrate a working knowledge of design applications. It is also beneficial to have creative and artistic flair, as well as excellent visualisation skills.
- Salaries start around £14,000 annually
- Most account directors can extend this to between £16,000 and £20,000 annually
- With experience, salaries can be up to £23,000
- Figures are intended as a guideline only
Benefits and prospects
Junior Designers have promotion opportunities and may advance to roles such as Designer.
- Research and analyse user interaction in order to optimise the overall user experience of the site
- Create intuitive designs that are both visually appealing and can be easily understood by a user
- Create initial wireframes to help demonstrate and test the user's experience
- Communicate with other designers and developers to optimise the site's usability
Skills and qualities
- A creative and logical mind-set
- A good understanding of human interaction and psychology
- Have an extensive knowledge of web design and web programming
- Have an analytical approach to research and data
- Work well in a team and the ability to follow instructions
- Excellent drawing and wire framing skills